Friday, November 18, 2011

Kea - the remake

As you may know, I often repeat animals. Bats and axolotls are frequently revisited species here at Cretur Fetur. But I've remade other things, like the hoatzin. I intend to make some awesome hyenas soon, too. Before them, though, I remade another bird.

Weighing in at about two pounds, it's the clever little New Zealand parrot, the clown of the mountains, the terror of sheep livers, the kea!

New and improved Nestor notabilis!
There's many things I did differently here. First, the embroidery. That was an adventure! I've never embroidered anything before, and I think sadly in some places it kinda shows.

Well, it's not too bad.
Second, the feet. I seem to have discovered the Terrible Secret of Bird Feet. I'm positively thrilled by the results!


LITTLE CLAWS AWW

Third, proportions. I seem to have a better grasp on that nowadays.


before
after

In summary, remakes are not always a bad idea. And it's always good to remember where you started and keep experimenting!

1 comment: