Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Birth of a kea, part 1

HOW TO MAKE A KEA. In which I demonstrate my sew-free, sturdy and stable method of attaching non-wool beaks and legs to wool creturs!

First: make the body, out of core wool or batting (it is faster than roving, I think).



Be sure to make it all firm, EXCEPT for the front of the head, where you will loosely needlefelt a hole:

Then, cover it with colored wool - I used hand-dyed batting because I love it, what of it? Wanna fight about it?
 
Then, make and attach the wings. In retrospect, I don't know why I colored the inside of the wings, there's no way to see the inside with the way I posed the bird. I guess I just did because they are the more exciting part of the wing, what with the orange. Next time maybe!

PART TWO, THE PART WITH THE BEAK AND THE LEGS, IS OVER HERE!

1 comment: